7pm, Wednesday, 13 July 2022
Topic 1/2: Self-hosting software
Speaker: Chris Winkworth
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is a business model to run the software sold on a company’s own servers, and provide people with access to their accounts only remotely, usually through a web browser, and on a subscription basis. This is opposed to the older “on-premises” model where the software is run on a customer’s own computers. Unfortunately, companies can still exert a lot of power over customers who buy licenses to their software this way; the risk of censorship is particularly troublesome. Chris will give us an overview of self-hosting: running applications in a similar way to the SaaS model, but moving control back to your own computer, an approach particularly compatible with properly free and open-source software.
Topic 2/2: Adventures in Codeland
Speaker: Tim-Hinnerk Heuer
Tim will return for another demonstration of competitive programming on Leetcode, this time using C++ specifically, with the C++ compiler from the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), and the Vim text editor.
$2 gold coin donation
- Masks must be worn, unless medically exempt.
- Guests may sign in using either the COVID-19 tracer app or the paper register, but this is no longer required.
- Coffee and biscuits will be provided, but please feel free to bring along your own snacks and drinks. The kitchen is fine to use again!
- 7:00pm: Welcome (Tom Ryder)
- 7:10pm: Topic 1/2: Self-hosting software (Chris Winkworth)
- 7:55pm: Supper Break
- 8:05pm: General business (Tom Ryder)
- 8:10pm: Topic 2/2: Adventures in Codeland (Tim-Hinnerk Heuer)
- 9:00pm: Doors close